The Door County Land Trust is looking to hire a Communications Coordinator!
The Communications Coordinator helps raise awareness and grow support for the Door County Land Trust’s mission. Using web content, social media, emails, newsletters, short films, outreach events, and other avenues, this position is ideal for a creative, deadline-driven, collaborative, and organized storyteller who enjoys meeting new people, experiencing new places, and describing the ways in which people connect to the natural environment of Door County. The Communications Coordinator position spends the majority of time in the office, with infrequent reporting in the field as needed. The position periodically requires evening and weekend hours.
- Executes strategic communications plan to raise awareness and support for Door County Land Trust. Ensures broad-level integration of the organization’s conservation agenda goals including land protection, land stewardship and community engagement.
- Works collaboratively to align public relations, donor relations strategies and communications.
- Coordinates and collaborates with fellow staff for content selection and writing assignments.
- Coordinates publication and distribution through a variety of channels including direct mail, print, web, social media, video, etc.
- Writes, edits, designs and publishes ongoing stories of the Land Trust in collaboration with other writers including staff, volunteers and occasionally paid contractors.
- Writes and publishes website, blog and eNews content
- Maintains, curates and creates a variety of content for social media accounts.
- Assists with other external and internal communications duties as needed.
- Designs and produces brochures, advertisements, posters, merchandise and other promotional materials.
- Coordinates and maintains accurate details on programs and events across multiple channels.
- Supports planning, promotion and execution of a variety of member, public, program and fundraising events.
- Collaborates with staff to design and create signage, visitor information and educational materials for nature preserves.
- Supports donor relations and assists with donor communications as needed.
- Develops and maintains relationships with media contacts.
- Measures and reports on the effectiveness of communications activities.
- Maintains photo library and communications archive.
- Manages inventory of stationery, letterhead, publications and merchandise.
Supervision and Supervisory Responsibilities
The Communications Coordinator reports to and is supervised by the Development Director. The Communications Coordinator supervises and coordinates volunteers related to the implementation of some events/activities and communications as needed; as well as project supervision of graphic and web design, printers, mail services, etc.
Approximately 70% of work focuses on communications. 30% of work encompasses a variety of administrative, membership, and fund development support.
- Three to five years of experience in communications, journalism, marketing, branding, or related career, preferably in the field of land conservation. Candidates are invited to demonstrate professional and related life experience.
- A passion for our mission to ‘Protect Door County’s Exceptional Land and Waters…Forever.’
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent communications skills.
- Experience collaborating with team members, colleagues and contractors.
- Must possess strong verbal and written communications skills, have experience with copyediting, and maintaining high standards for accuracy.
- Effective communication skills (including presentation, persuasion, and negotiation) required for working with colleagues, stakeholders, and contractors.
- Adept in graphic design for print and digital media.
- Adept with Microsoft Office Suite including Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
- Adept with Adobe Creative Suite including Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator.
- Proficiency in content management systems (WordPress), SEO, and Google Analytics desired.
- Adept in email marketing systems and WYSIWYG editing (ConstantContact).
- Some experience in filming, editing, and sharing visual media (photos and video) desired.
- Experience with Giftworks/Frontstream constituent database (or other database) desired.
This is a full-time position. Salary is commensurate with experience and includes competitive benefits. Health, life, and disability insurance. Simple IRA matching contribution. Paid vacation.
Submit your application online at www.doorcountylandtrust.org/careers by 5:00 pm on November 2, 2018. Follow instructions on the webpage to upload your resume, cover letter, references and work samples. Start date flexible, but ideally no later than January 15.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.